Monday, October 3, 2011

Paper Doll Baby Shower

There comes a mile stone in every hostess's carrier when you know you must be good, and that mile stone is when you are asked to cross state boundaries to do a party. It is quite the feat to pack a party and execute  it far from home, but I can now check it off the list of things I have done in the universe of part planning. Here is the Paper Doll themed baby shower I did for my Sister-in-law. Invitations, Decorations, Food and all. Thanks to the help of a group of ladies in Arizona that have been throwing parties a lot longer than I have it went off with out a hitch.


The invitations I made turned out just as I had hoped. I do have to say that was a lot of paper dolls to cut out though 3x48.

 I loved the pedal envelope I put the invitation itself in. 


And the paper doll holding a banner with her registry info on it was the perfect touch.

I ended up using the concept of the yellow dots strung together in the band all through out the party.

I made a cute banner for out-side that said "I'm gonna buy a paper doll that I can call my own". The lyrics to a song I found that inspired the rest of my party playlist of old time Jazz songs that were perfect for the shower theme.

 Party Playlist:
Buttons and Bows by Dinah Shore
Bye Bye Blackbird by Enoch Light and the Brigade
Didn't Leave Nobody But the Baby from O Brother Where Art Thou?
Flat Foot Floogee by  Slim Gaillard, Bud Green, Slam Stewart
The Glow Worm by the Mills Brothers
Goodnight, My Love by Mack Gordon, Harry Revel
Mairzy Doats and Doazy Doats by the Merry Macs
*Paper Doll by the Mills Brothers
Yes Sir, That's My Baby by Enoch Light and the Brigade


This was the craft table I had set-up so that guests could stuff vintage fabric dolls and cut out magnetic paper dolls I had printed. By the end of the shower Lindsay's baby had 8 stuffed dolls and a metal lunch pale full of magnetic dolls and their clothes. All the paper doll images were vintage Betsy McCall paper dolls I found online. Here are a few more pictures of the tables details.
My mom decorated this box to be a playhouse for the stuffed dolls. Look how cute the bird cage and button clock are.
I made sure to have cards with directions for each craft on them, and decorated with paper doll dresses that were dressed up with glitter, mini clothes pins, vintage child care books, measuring tapes, and pattern paper.
Pattern paper flowers in vases.
A look at the scratch off game I made for guests. Who ever had Betsy McCalls matching dress and doll won.
And this is what they won. A basket full of Utah peaches.
Guests also got a little party favor that they could use when coming back to see baby. custom hand-sanatizer. The label read "Thank you! You're a doll for coming" and then had the date of Lindsay's shower.
They could also fill out a fill in the blank wishes for baby card.
The food table was amazing and everything tasted great. We had doughnuts, sausage, mini quiches made from scratch by my mothers wonderful friends, fresh Bear Lake raspberries from Utah, homemade raspberry muffins, assorted fruit, milk, chocolate milk, and orange juice with bay leaves and raspberry puree. 

Here are some additional pictures:
I lined all the food trays with a cute brown and pink polka dotted fabric that I had cut to fit with a scalloped rotary cutter. I thought it looked cute and added to everything. The food signs were paper dolls I had printed, glittered up, and cut out and then attached to little chalkboards I had found at Joanne's.
We used a vintage suitcase to put the drinks in and I believe the bottles are from World Market. Note the pom pom garland on the back-drop (just like the invite). I made those with some yellow yarn and a pom pom maker.
Paper straws I ordered from the Sugar Diva. They had great costumer service and got me my straws fast and for no additional shipping cost. Then I just added a simple flag to them.
I made little paper cup liners for every other cup to go with the party theme. 
The table back drops were two sets of curtains I found at Ikea for cheap.
Love my moms butter bells. I stacked the plates and napkins together so guests could grab both easily.
We lined a coffe table with pattern paper and had assorted fruit out for guests.
I just had to have these ceramic berry baskets for the party. You can find them at Crate and Barrel.

Last but not least the... "Mom to Be" with her kid sister.
I made the mom to be ribbon out of fabric, paper, glitter, and well ribbon. It had a magnet on the back of it since I didn't want it to pull on her shirt and I didn't know what she would be wearing.

I had a blast doing this party, but can honestly say I do not want to see paper dolls for awhile. I wish Lindsay and my brother the best with her new little one which is due any day or minute. 

If you would like custom invitations for your next event or have questions about this party or anything that you have seen in this post. Please contact me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm interested in those adorable paperdoll invitations! Do you sell those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete